[MPlayer-users] [BUG] Cannot seek in avi file

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Wed Oct 6 16:55:34 CEST 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 12:00:29PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 18:43:08 -0400
> Giacomo Comes <comes at naic.edu> wrote:
>
> > In both cases I can fix the seek problem with:
> >
> > mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -noidx -o new.avi test.avi
> >
> > Now I can seek in new.avi, but there is a strange effect
> > (mplayer seek to a non keyframe).
>
> This is a known issue.  There was a patch submitted on -dev but has
> still not been comitted, I guess.
>
> http://zebra.fh-weingarten.de/~maxi/html/mplayer-dev-eng/2004-07/msg00467.html
>
> I have attached the patch.

This patch doesn't work.
There are several problems.

After I apply the patch, the avi created with:

mencoder -ovc copy -o test.avi dvd://1 -aid 128 -oac copy

doesn't play correctly. Audio and video go slowly out of sync.
I need to add the option '-mc .1' to keep the sync.
Of course I cannot seek.
After fixing the avi with:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -noidx -o new.avi test.avi

I can seek. The seek is better now, but the seek of the video
doesn't correspond to the seek of the audio. After the seek
audio and video get completly out od sync.

I would guess that the patch is not complete.

Giacomo