[MPlayer-users] ER - recognize standard playlist

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Nov 22 08:18:37 CET 2004

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>Apparently there is some work to make a standardized "play list" that
>>various readers/writers can use to help organize files.  This seems like
>>a good idea: give the viewer (mplayer) the path to the root of a fs (CD,
>>camera memory chip, etc.) and it will find the play list and play the
>>specified files.  Kinda like a DVD menu, only generic enough to handle
>>more than just movies on DVD's.
>>
>>The best link I have seen is
>>http://www.softarch.com/us/press/ostampv.htm  which links to a spec
>>http://www.osta.org/specs/pdf/MultiAudio110.pdf
>

> I didn't read it in detail, but it sounds like pure overkill to me what
> they are doing, and doesn't seem to support that many features...
> Anyway, it would be a lot of work to implement, I wouldn't assume anyone
> will do that anytime soon (is at all)...

Thats kinda what I was thinking too.  I was hoping someone would point
to something similar but more likely to be implemented.

>>Anyone know of anything else like this?  I figure if such a thing is
>>coming, I might as well put the playlist on my CD's now, cuz it is hard
>>to later ;)
>

> Yes, a file containing a list with all the filenames, one per line. I
> think nearly every program supports that (and if not a simple shell
> script or even xargs alone can help)...

I think mPlayer (and all others) should have a default playlist
filename.  That way when I swap CD's with a friend, we are more likely
to have the same filename.  I vote for PlayMe.m3u, because that is what
I have started using.  OTOH, it is kinda gay, so I wouldn't be surprised
if there is something better.

Carl K