[MPlayer-users] May be atupid question/requirement

VJ vj at vijaygill.homelinux.net
Sun Nov 21 15:50:08 CET 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nico Sabbi" <nsabbi at tiscali.it>
To: "MPlayer usage questions, features, bugreports"
<mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2004 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] May be atupid question/requirement

> VJ wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>     I was just wondering if this functionality is already present or
>> can be implemented, if not present, in mplayer. I capture programs
>> using MythTV and encode them to mpeg2video using mencoder using
>> 2-pass. Quality is perfect. After encoding I use Ulead DVD
>> MovieFactory for make DVD's. I see that it has to
>> demultiplex/remultiplex the video and audio streams to get VOB
>> compatible files/streams. Is it possible to have this in mencoder
>> itself so that the time of demultiplex/remultiplex is saved? I assume
>> that streams are multiplexed during encoding as well when mencoder
>> writes to ouput file. It will be great if mencoder starts supporting
>> something like following
>>
>> -of vob
>> -of vcd
>> -of avi (it does already)
>> -of mpeg(it does already)
>>
>> Thanks and regards from
>> VJ
>>
>> PS: I know about mplex program but I am being just too lazy :-) and I
>> want this mencoder thing to be my swiss-army knife for my encoding
>> purposes.
>

> you may try this patch, but it's still under heavy development; I've
> been successfully using it for some time noe,
> so it should work well. Use it this way:
>
> ./mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -ovc ... -oac ... -o file.mpg
> <original file>
>
> You can also use some additional parameters (in -mpegopts) such as
> init_apts, init_vpts and init_adelay
> (only negative at the moment) to fix asynchrony.
>
> The final file can be passed to dvdauthor.
>
> Please let me know if it works for you.
>
>    Nico

Hi Nico
    Thanks for the reply. I will try your patch. In the meanwhile I was
looking in the file ffmpeg/libavformat/mpeg.c and I found the following line
at the bottom of that file:
    av_register_output_format(&mpeg1system_mux);
    av_register_output_format(&mpeg1vcd_mux);
    av_register_output_format(&mpeg2vob_mux);
    av_register_output_format(&mpeg2svcd_mux);
    av_register_output_format(&mpeg2dvd_mux);

Does that mean that the functionality I require is already there even
without your patch? I will try your patch later today.

Thanks again
VJ