[MPlayer-users] libdha pci scan failure

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Nov 12 15:27:33 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 08:22:57PM -0600, Chris Cox wrote:
> On Thursday 11 November 2004 05:19 pm, Jeffrey Malone wrote:
> > Okay, this should be an interesting one, or a very stupid mistake on
> > my part that I'm overlooking.
> >
> > So I install gentoo on my dell inspiron 8600 laptop which has an ATI
> > RV350 Mobility Radeon 9600 M10 graphics card.
>
> I didn't know Dell used ATI graphics cards.  Now I am 100% sure I'll never buy
> one of those.  I'll never deal with ATI cards again thank you.

how stupid. you'd rather use nvidia's buggy binary drivers with no
working tvout? the ati's dell uses are the best-supported laptop video
out there, afaik. even the tvout works.

now, that doesn't change the fact that dell sucks for many other
reasons. but the ati video is their one good point.

btw that comment about "checking ati for linux drivers" was really
ignorant. besides the fact that drivers from vendors should never be
used, we're talking about vidix here!! not x or something dumb like
that.

rich