[MPlayer-users] 3 tv-tuner cards in one computer (burglar camera system)

Jack lt at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 29 06:34:25 CEST 2004

Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:

>I know this might be not the best place to ask, but anyway: is it
>possible to plug in 3 pci tv tuner cards, capture video from them,
>encode and store it in realtime? I see no problems with encoding &
>storing, but I wonder if capturing process takes a lot of system
>resources. Something like half-resolution, 3 fps will do.
>
>Do I need cards with hardware mjpeg compression? Or any cheap avermedia
>card on bt8?? chip will do?

I don't see any reason why a bunch of cheap bt8x8 capture cards couldn't
do it.  Hell, at 3 fps, you could probably encode them all to mpeg-4 at
full resolution on a VERY cheap computer.  Even 10 fps at half
resolution wouldn't be out of the question with, say, a 1.5 ghz
machine.  In my experience, the capturing process itself isn't very
stressful.  You could probably have acceptable results for just a
security camera encoding/storage system with any old junky machine you
have lying around.  You'd probably want at least a fast P-II to hit 3
fps from all 3 sources.

Dealing with, organizing, and storing the resulting files is a different
animal, but I'm sure someone more creative than me could write a shell
script to automatically deal with it.  Maybe just a cron job that
periodically kills mencoder and restarts it with a different output file
or something, I dunno.  Doesn't seem like it would be very hard at all,
now that I think about it.

-lt