[MPlayer-users] mencoder / DVD / copy-options

Volker Meyer vmeyer at isle-juist.com
Sat Jun 26 09:10:14 CEST 2004

Hi,

I think I encountered a bug.
I used the most recent CVS-version of mplayer/mencoder.

Using a comandline like this:
mencoder dvd://3 -aid 130 -ovc copy -oac lavc -of mpeg -ofps 23.976 -o
ecks.mpg -endpos 60
produces a file, that works. Video and audio are in sync. Framerate,
when playing with mplayer is ok.

Unfortunately, audio is encoded in mp2, which is not what I want.
Since the DVD is in AC3 I tried this one:
mencoder dvd://3 -aid 130 -ovc copy -oac copy -of mpeg -ofps 23.976 -o
ecks.mpg -endpos 60
This also works, but the resulting file, when played has no audio, or so
it seems.

Analyzing the file with
ffmpeg -i ecks.mpg
tells me that there is an audio track, but claims,  that this track is
in mp2. Therefore, I guess, mplayer uses the wrong codec and play the
file without audio.

My guess is, that the "-oac copy" on the comandline does copy the AC3
stream, but writes the wrong codec information into the header of the
ecks.mpg file.

Can that be true, or is something wrong with my comandline?

The DVD-title is in progressive NTSC.

Volker.