[MPlayer-users] Re: Non-seeking OpenDML AVI

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Jun 18 23:04:09 CEST 2004

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> The code included in that patch appears to still be present in CVS;
>> I'm not sufficiently familiar with the code to be able to tell what
>> is and is not related to seeking, but I do not see any major
>> changes from the version I tested. I do recall that some changes
>> have been made to the OpenDML code since it was added, but from the
>> discussion I remember it does not seem likely that it would produce
>> this kind of effect.
>
> If it is just one 'RIFF-Chunk', then current CVS will ignore the
> OpenDML extension.  You can check it with "grep AVIX file", if the
> string is not there it's just one chunk.

This is, indeed, the case. Is there a way to change that behaviour? I
infer from your phrasing and a cursory scan of the man page that there
is no command-line option for the purpose, but I'm open to patching my
copy if necessary. (I seem to remember discussion of this, now that you
mention it, but I don't remember enough to find it and the accompanying
patch(es) in my archives.)

Remuxing with -oac copy -ovc copy removes the need to specify -idx in
order to seek, but does not fix the keyframes problem; given that, how
does ignoring OpenDML make sense? I can sort of see it for MEncoder, in
terms of muxing - you don't want to use the extension if you don't need
it. For MPlayer, however... is there some sort of problem or limitation
in terms of playback which OpenDML causes, in files for which it is not
needed?

(It's possible that I already know the answer to that, but if so I don't
recall it; I'm rather bleary at the moment.)

>> I can provide the file if necessary, though I think I uploaded it
>> (or one of its close siblings) once already; any ideas what might
>> be going on here?
>
> If it's already uploaded, please tell me the filename, otherwise it
> would be nice if you could upload it.

The file I uploaded, which is not necessarily this same one but if not
is from the same batch, was placed on the server with the filename
soft-subtitles-in-OpenDML.avi (you may remember that you looked at that
question for me, back then).

> How big is the file?

234MB. A little bulky, but not wholly unreasonable.

If the file on the server is, in fact, not the same one (or if it's been
deleted - I don't see it there at a quick glance), just let me know and
I can send this one in its place.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.