[MPlayer-users] MPEG-TS files still out of sync with mencoder (fixed!)

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Mon Jun 14 09:04:40 CEST 2004

> If you just play-back a file with -mc 10, you'll find that it does
> sync back up almost instantly after it desyncs (either because of
> searching, dropped frames, bad sound drivers, or whatever else).

Well this file didn't, because I tested various -mc values with mplayer
and when I got one that worked well I used that with mencoder.  So I'm
not sure why -mc 10 dropped a ton of valid video frames (and left a
single frame visible while the audio was playing) and *then* went back
in sync, but -mc 0.01 resyncs instantly - contrary to what you might
expect.  Basically I found that the closer I got to zero the less video
frames were dropped once it hit the 'bad' section (and it stayed in sync
the whole time.)  But of course with -mc 0 no frames are dropped and it
gets out of sync by a few hundred milliseconds at each 'blip.'

Cheers,
Adam.