[MPlayer-users] Short digress into A-V sync probem

Adam Karkowski adz at acon.com.au
Thu Jun 10 08:52:45 CEST 2004

>> you what does screw you around on a/v sync though:  encoding your audio
>> invbr with lame (not sure about ogg or other formats).  It has for a
>> long time

> This is an entirely different problem. Downgrading your lame to 3.90
> will fix it almost entirely.

I've been reading this thread and I have also been having A-V sync
problems (I use 1.0pre4-3.3.3) using 2-pass encoding. Basically, what
happens is that the audio lags the video consistently by about 400 ms. I
can easily oversome this when I'm playing my video with mplayer since I
can just press the "-" key four times. However, a lot of my encodings have
to be playable on windows (I use VLC for that) where adjusting the audio
delay is much more cumbersome (though still possible). I've tried
specifying the "-audio-delay X" option to no avail. It says that it's
doing it but when I playback after encoding is finished the audio still
lags by the same amount (the option seems to have no effect). I've tried
downgrading to 3.90 but mencoder cries foul and says that version >= 3.92
is required. My whole command for a particular movie is:

mencoder dvd://1 -aid 128 -vf scale=688:384,crop=688:290:0:50 -oac mp3lame
-lameopts vbr=3:preset=128:vol=10 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:trell:cbp:mbd=2:v4mv:vpass=1:vbitrate=733

Same again for pass 2 with "vpass=2", of course. I've tried with cbr but
same problem occurs. I've checked the lame site and the release notes
don't seem to specify a new option in 3.92 that wasn't present in the
previous one. I don't think this is a lame problem because I tried using
mp3 encoding via lavc and I get exactly the same result. Another possibly
related problem is that setting the volume in lameopts does nothing. Has
anyone had any similar problems?

Adam.