[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Wed Jun 9 21:59:14 CEST 2004

> Rjamorim's tests dont mention the hardware, or the the environment.
> If I play a codec on a transistor radio next to a construction site
> NO one is goign to be able to hear the difference.

Which means that the codec is perfectly adequate at that bitrate used,
for that purpose. If you're never going to spend tens of thousands of
dollars/euros/whatever on sound isolating the house and purchasing
audiophilic sound setups, you don't need 32 bit 96Khz PCM audio,
either.

Now, a thing that really bugs me (prejudice, I guess), is those cinemas
that allegedly moved over to some Windows media audio+video codec for
displaying stuff. For some reason, that idea does not appeal to me.
Not that any cinema where I live would do that, or even consider
upgrading their speakers to sound better than my Philips €40 wireless
headphones ;-)