[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Wed Jun 9 16:52:50 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 03:37, Alexei Khlebnikov wrote:
> IMHO, these artificial tests in special studios is wrong approach. It's something
> not-natural, like PSNR.
>
> Very few (or none) people listen to music in studio in their real life. For example,
> many people have got acoustics with phase invertors at the back side for boosting
> bass. But how many of them know that these phase invertors must be placed at least
> 1 meter from any obstacle (wall or so) ?
>
> In my opinion, tests must be real, because the life is too real. In Rjamorim's tests
> _every_ codec sounds in real-life conditions, that's way these tests are fair (on
> listening conditions).

I'm not talking about artifical machine signal tests. I'm talking about
sitting a human being down in a studio, with real gear, and listening to
music there.

Alot of people have home theatre setups. The idea of these setups is to
produce studio like sound. Spending thousands of dollars to produce
music that sounds like it came out of a 1980's boom box is not the
intent when you drop a couple grand on audio hardware.

In my opinion, tests must be real also, with teh caveat they should be
done with good gear, and a good listening environment. Not to do so
would be foolish and would make the test meaningless.

Rjamorim's tests dont mention the hardware, or the the environment. If I
play a codec on a transistor radio next to a construction site NO one is
goign to be able to hear the difference.