[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Wed Jun 9 21:24:42 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 12:53, rcooley wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:09:35 -0400
> Jason Tackaberry <tack at sault.org> wrote:
>
> > but just because you don't have an A/V receiver for AC3
> >         pass-through today doesn't mean you won't have one tomorrow.
>
> Or, you could encode it to multi-channel Vorbis.  I'd say any reciever
> that can do 5.1 AC3 pass-through should be able to handle
> uncompressed 6-channel input.

Yea, how though?

I can't seem to find a multichannel vorbis encoder that works, plus you
got the physical transport.. multichannel vorbis means you are going to
have to use analog outs... I think. To get it down a spdif pipe you are
going to want to use ac3 because the other end (your reciever) generally
only understands 2 channel spdif and ac3 5.1 or 5.2 or whatever. Feeding
it 3 or 4 or 5 channels independantly will jsut confuse it.

So you need to rencode it to ac3 5.1 on the fly. although there are libs
to do this, I know of no code that ties it all together.