[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Alexei Khlebnikov a.khlebnikau at sam-solutions.net
Wed Jun 9 10:37:37 CEST 2004

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 19:29:40 -0500
Wayde Milas <wmilas at rarcoa.com> wrote:

WM> > While I agree with the general point you are making (I also use Vorbis because it degrades better than mp3 at lower bitrates) I think you are exagerating a bit with regards to mp3's quality. There is little difference between them and then only if you listen _realy_ hard. But don't take my word for it. Proper listening tests have already been done. Go to www.hydrogenaudio.org to find them.
WM>
WM> Those listening tests are a farce. There is no real mention made on how
WM> the signal was reproduced, what environment it was listened to in, and
WM> what hardware was used. Unless everyone listened in a studio setting,
WM> with studio gear, there is no way a valid comparison can be made.

IMHO, these artificial tests in special studios is wrong approach. It's something
not-natural, like PSNR.

Very few (or none) people listen to music in studio in their real life. For example,
many people have got acoustics with phase invertors at the back side for boosting
bass. But how many of them know that these phase invertors must be placed at least
1 meter from any obstacle (wall or so) ?

In my opinion, tests must be real, because the life is too real. In Rjamorim's tests
_every_ codec sounds in real-life conditions, that's way these tests are fair (on
listening conditions).