[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Wed Jun 9 02:29:40 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 18:18, ivanova wrote:
>  honestly think it sounds "disgusting".
>
> While I agree with the general point you are making (I also use Vorbis because it degrades better than mp3 at lower bitrates) I think you are exagerating a bit with regards to mp3's quality. There is little difference between them and then only if you listen _realy_ hard. But don't take my word for it. Proper listening tests have already been done. Go to www.hydrogenaudio.org to find them.

Those listening tests are a farce. There is no real mention made on how
the signal was reproduced, what environment it was listened to in, and
what hardware was used. Unless everyone listened in a studio setting,
with studio gear, there is no way a valid comparison can be made.

If everyone stood next to a deisel truck while doing listening tests, of
course its going to all sound the same.

If everyone used a cheap $10 pair of powered speakers, its all going to
sound the same.

Its a joke. Plain and simple.