[MPlayer-users] MPEG-TS files still out of sync with mencoder

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Sun Jun 6 12:06:49 CEST 2004

> > I'd much rather have silence inserted into the audio stream and no
> > frames dropped, as the video would then stay nice and smooth -
> > anyone know how to do that?

> currently it's not possible as far as I know

Bummer :-(  It would be a good feature to add, because the output video
would retain more of the input video - as it stands now, you lose even
more of the input video than is really necessary.

> yes, but as you wrote above, if during the first pass you don't encode
> audio mencoder won't know anything about the dropping of  video frames
> that will happen in the second pass (because of broken audio).

True, but that never bothered me before as no frames were being dropped.
 Now that frames *are* being dropped I might have to look into it - but
given the horrible quality of the output file when these frames are
dropped, I think I'll go back to my sound editor for the time being :-(

> Notice that in cvs Rich added some filter options to control when in
> the encoding pipeline frames will be dropped; they may help you.

Yes, I noticed a "softskip" option when I was looking earlier, but I
don't think it will help as the problem for me is the frames are
dropped/skipped when they shouldn't be.  Although now that I think about
it, the audio was playing while the same frame stayed on screen for 1+
seconds, so I'm not sure why this behaviour should happen - I could
understand if the picture jumped forward in time, but why it keeps the
same frame on screen when others are available I'm not sure...

Cheers,
Adam.