[MPlayer-users] MPEG-TS files still out of sync with mencoder

nsabbi at fastwebnet.it nsabbi at fastwebnet.it
Sun Jun 6 10:05:20 CEST 2004

>> I would try without -mc, -noskip, and -skiplimit, one of them is
>> likely causing the problem.
>
>Well, I tried without -mc and it definitely helped, the sound it back in
>sync, but unfortunately mencoder now drops frames during the corrupted
>section to catch up with the audio.  Obviously I don't want to lose
>frames, especially as I get about two different frames over a four
>second period while it's compensating - which looks *really* bad.  I'd
>much rather have silence inserted into the audio stream and no frames
>dropped, as the video would then stay nice and smooth - anyone know how
>to do that?

currently it's not possible as far as I know

>> I don't know MPlayer internals very well, but I'd think encoding the
>> first pass without sound may have the potential to cause sync problems
>> as well.
>
>It shouldn't, because only divx2pass.log comes out of the first pass
>which tells mencoder how much space to give to each frame - if different
>frames were encoded (e.g. frames were dropped in the first pass but not
>in the second) then there could be problems, but as both encoding
>commands are identical it shouldn't cause any issues.  I do have sound
>in the second pass, and that's when the actual XviD data is written to
>disk.

yes, but as you wrote above, if during the first pass you don't encode audio
mencoder won't know anything about the dropping of  video frames that will
happen in the second pass (because of broken audio).
Notice that in cvs Rich added some filter options to control when in the

encoding pipeline frames will be dropped; they may help you.

  Nico