[MPlayer-users] Fitting a big file on a 700mb cd with mencoder?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Jun 5 10:10:17 CEST 2004

khurram wrote:

> Yes, thats more clear Wanderer.  Thx.
>
> I went all the way back to -ss 4000, and it spit out a file that
> works with mplayer (not with xine for some reason).  Its some part of
> the movie,  in the end somewhere.  So i kept going back until i hit
> ss value of 500,  but then i get a file in the size of 900+mb's.
> Whats the point then?  I  mean the whole reason for this was that i
> wanted to shrink the 1.4gb file  and fit it on a cd or cd's somehow.

When you use -ss 4000 with MPlayer, what time does MPlayer report being
at? (That's the leftmost number in the status line, or you can get the
time from the OSD.)

If it's less than 59463, go up to (say) 4500 and check the reported time
again; then go to either 4250 or 4750 depending on whether you're above
or below 59463, and check again; repeat as necessary until you find a
-ss value for which MPlayer reports starting at 59463, or as close as
you can get. (If the -ss 4000 value was more than 59463, just go down to
3000 and repeat from there.) Then use that value in MEncoder.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.