[MPlayer-users] Fitting a big file on a 700mb cd with mencoder?

Brian Neltner neltnerb at neltner.mit.edu
Sat Jun 5 02:48:32 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 06:53:32PM -0400, Aaron Peterson wrote:
> The original message:
>
> So i used ffmpeg to encode some file into svcd with this command:
>
> $ ffmpeg -i movie.avi -target svcd ~/movieout.mpg
>
> Well, that worked and all, but now i have a really big file:
>
> 1403389232 Jun 4 02:05 movieout.mpg

> I'm pretty sure this is not an avi, but mpeg2 (or mpeg1?)  Does avisplit
> work on those?  It does in fact come in the transcode package.
>
> --
> Aaron Peterson <aaron at alpete.com>

Ah, sorry, I don't have a solution for that.

For the record, encoding from one format to another is really not such a good
thing to do, you lose a lot of information and waste a lot of bits encoding
the artifacts from the previous encoding.  You're probably best off just
encoding it directly from your dvd again, your filesize will probably be
smaller too.

eit.

-Brian