[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

Tue Jun 1 04:38:32 CEST 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:

DRFI>On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 06:20:04PM +0300, Jan Knutar wrote:
DRFI>>
DRFI>> > Do you perhaps have your monitor brightness turned up insanely high,
DRFI>> > and/or messed up gamma "correction"? With proper settings blocks are
DRFI>> > not visible even at q=3 or 4.
DRFI>>
DRFI>> I'm beginning to think that all lavc developers suffer with the same
DRFI>> kind of monitor that I do ;-) I've never noticed blockiness myself on
DRFI>
DRFI>It's not suffering, but having a good monitor. On a good monitor, low
DRFI>levels will be very close to one another. Otherwise dark areas will
DRFI>have ugly banding from visible "steps" in the brightness level, and
DRFI>everything just looks way too bright.

My monitor's brightness & gamma are calibrated to 2.5 gamma, and I see
a lot of blocks and defects with vqscale=2 & original resolution
(without scaling) on certain dvd rips. Of course, -vf pp removes them,
but it removes details as well and blurs everything.  -vf noise=12uah
improves picture, but not much.

--

Vladimir