[MPlayer-users] Re: lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

Jakub Misak jmisak at atlas.cz
Tue Jun 1 04:36:14 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III <dalias <at> aerifal.cx> writes:

> They didn't even use libavcodec but rather ffvfw. I think there's a
> new vfw interface in ffdshow now, but the old "ffvfw" used an ancient
> version of lavc and used xvid's rate control code (which is much
> worse) rather than the native lavc code.

You didn't read the test at all. You're always saying that doom9 is incompetent
because he used bad libavcodec settings, and XviD 2-pass.

The fact is that the libavcodec he used was not too old, and he used the
settings that FFmpeg developers themselves told him to use:

mbd=2:4mv:trell:cmp=2:subcmp=2:vmax_b_frames=1

Secondly, he didn't use the XviD 2-pass mode, he used the FFmpeg ratecontrol, it
is optional in ffvfw. Exactly because he wanted to test FFmpeg, not XviD.

As for libxvcodec vs. XviD, I also think XviD 1.0 is currently superior, as its
picture lacks the raw primitive FFmpeg-like blocking while still being clean and
sharp. You may not successfully repair mudding with postprocessing, but with
XviD, posprocessing is often not needed anyway, and its mudding is not as strong
as it used to be. Plus, the MPlayer postprocessing tends to blur the picture,
which is something that not everyone appreciates.