[MPlayer-users] Confused about deinterlacing and scaling

* afe0108 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 18:19:32 CEST 2004

--- Jason Tackaberry <tack at sault.org> wrote:
> There are docs about this.  An encoding guide:
>
>    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html
>
> And dealing with pulldown and interlacing is a prerequisite:
>
>    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-telecine.html

Thanks for the replies (Dominik as well)!!!  Those docs are great, I
don't remember them existing a year ago.  Answered many questions.

I now see that one of the things I'm trying to record from DVD is
hard-telecined and one is interlaced.  They were both originally TV
so I'm a little surprised by the former, I thought in this case
(wrongly, probably) that it was usually interlaced, not telecined.

> > In particular I'm confused about the pp to use for deinterlacing.
> > It sounds like pp=lb is best in theory but I have to say that pp=ci
> > looks a lot less blurry.
>
> The "best" deinterlacer is a topic for heated discussion, I've found. :)
> Each deinterlacer artifacts in different ways, and the "best" one seems
> to be more a matter of perception.  pp=lb creates ghosting, but I tend
> to prefer it over the others.  I think most people agree however that
> you should avoid pp=fd.
>
> The best results I have seen are from bob deinterlacing but MPlayer
> doesn't have this feature.

Yet, of course.  I have full confidence that someone will add it :)