[MPlayer-users] mplayer problem viewing TV: FC2, bttv

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Jul 26 20:26:32 CEST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 03:04:41 -0400
"Aranya Ghatak" <aranya at hotmail.com> wrote:

> However, I cannot get it to get a signal from my cable input.  Tried
> with mplayer, and did a channel scan under tvtuner.

Well, if no TV viewing programs work with it, it's not an MPlayer
problem, now is it?

> Linux DOES recognize the tuner card (see dmesg output below)..

No, it doesn't as a matter of fact...

> bttv0: Bt848 (rev 1) at 0000:00:09.0, irq: 5, latency: 32, mmio:
> 0xee000000 bttv0: using:  *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC ***
                                                      ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
It doesn't know which brand of BTTV card you have.

> [card=0,autodetected] bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000
     ^ ^ ^ ^
So it picks the default.

> in=00ffffff [init] bttv: readee error
                                  ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Doesn't look like the default works.

> bttv0: using tuner=-1
> bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
> bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
> bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found

And it also can't detect which tuner your card has, so it assumes there
is none.  You MIGHT be able to watch something from AV or SVIDEO
inputs, but definately not from your tuner.

Read the documentation on BTTV:
 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/

Specifically, read: "CARDLIST"   Then pass your card=# and tuner=# to
the bttv module when it is loaded.