[MPlayer-users] rtc question; conf problems solved

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Thu Jul 8 18:20:08 CEST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 08:54:52 -0500 (CDT), Cheryl Homiak
<chomiak at charter.net> wrote:

> The suggestion below gets Steve the 'helpful hint" award for the
> morning; I did
> chmod ++s /usr/local/bin/mplayer
> and have no more problems with /dev/rtc.
> Thanks!!!

It works, but it's not a good idea.

Your mplayer is now running as root. If you are happy taking
that chance, fine, but I've read the mplayer networking code
(sorry guys, it's not _bad_ and I know how stuck for maintainers
you are); so you are opening a large potential security hole there.

You might want to consider chmod -s /usr/local/bin/mplayer
and use the /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq solution instead.

Dermot.