[MPlayer-users] nvidia/cvidix "Can't find chip" -- NOVIRUS

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 12:50:23 CET 2004

Joe Neeman wrote:

>> You used "-vo cvidix:nvidia_vid", but what you want is "-vo
>> cvidix:nvidia_vid.so" - i.e, provide the full filename, not just
>> the part before the extension.

> Ok, so now I get:
> [nvidia_vid]: warning: forcing not supported yet!
> [nvidia_vid] Can't find chip
> vosub_vidix: Couldn't find working VIDIX driver
>
> Does this mean that vidix doesn't yet support my chip?

I don't know, but I get the same. (If running as root, that is -
otherwise it complains about inability to do a PCI scan and improper
permissions.)

"Forcing not supported" means, as far as I can tell, that the nvidia_vid
VIDIX driver doesn't know how to let itself be forced to work, without
scanning for the relevant hardware first; if you don't specify a VIDIX
driver at all, you should get the "Can't find chip" message anyway, from
a long series of different possible driver candidates, and "Couldn't
find working VIDIX driver" after all of them fail. My best guess is that
nvidia_vid either doesn't yet support the card(s) we have, or that it
doesn't know how to recognize and/or locate them, which means it
couldn't use them even if we *could* force it to try.

I'd very much like a fix for this, but I don't know where to get started
on it myself, or what information the relevant people would need - even
if they were interested in making the effort.

--
       The Wanderer