[MPlayer-users] Some TV Out problems... NO-SPAM

Malte Horst Arthur Skoruppa malte at countnumber.de
Mon Jan 26 09:52:34 CET 2004

The Wanderer wrote:

> Malte Horst Arthur Skoruppa wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using dev-CVS-031207-15:14-3.3 mplayer on a 2.4.20-4GB-athlon
>> Linux system.
>>
>> I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9500 Pro.
>>
>> My TV out works under X, i.e. my X11 drivers support the tv out.
>>
>> However, when I run mplayer with xv driver, there is no image in the
>> tv screen. The part of the screen where the movie should be displayed
>> stays black in the tv (I can see it on the monitor, though).
>>
>> I had a look at the documentation and I tried to use the xvidix
>> driver, but it says (with -vo xvidix -v):
>>
>> No vidix driver name provided, probing available ones (-v option for
>> details)!
>
> <snip>
>
>> vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/radeon_vid.so
>> [radeon] Can't find chip
>
> <snip>
>
>> vosub_vidix: Couldn't find working VIDIX driver
>> [x11] NET style stay on top (layer 0). Using state
>> _NET_WM_STATE_STAYS_ON_TOP.
>> Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
>>
>> But /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/radeon_vid.so does exist (actually,
>> all these 9 *_vid.so files exist in that directory)!
>

> What "Can't find chip" means is not that the file doesn't exist, but
> that the program can't find the corresponding hardware needed to
> actually use that driver. If the file didn't exist, the program wouldn't
> know to look for the hardware.
>
> I can't help you with your problem as a whole, however; I have much the
> same difficulty myself, and have never been able to get VIDIX to work.

I managed to solve the problem by specifying my drivers explicitely with
-vo xvidix:radeon_vid.so (at least ist starts and plays the video)

Still, tv out doesn't work (tv screen is GREEN), while my monitor shows
the video more or less normally (although it's a bit ugly).

Oh well, guess I'm just going to use x11 and change resolution every
time I watch a movie, then...

Malte