[MPlayer-users] Some TV Out problems...

Malte Horst Arthur Skoruppa malte at countnumber.de
Sat Jan 24 20:24:33 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm using dev-CVS-031207-15:14-3.3 mplayer on a 2.4.20-4GB-athlon Linux
system.

I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9500 Pro.

My TV out works under X, i.e. my X11 drivers support the tv out.

However, when I run mplayer with xv driver, there is no image in the tv
screen. The part of the screen where the movie should be displayed stays
black in the tv (I can see it on the monitor, though).

I had a look at the documentation and I tried to use the xvidix driver,
but it says (with -vo xvidix -v):

No vidix driver name provided, probing available ones (-v option for
details)!
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/rage128_vid.so
[rage128] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/pm3_vid.so
[pm3] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/mga_crtc2_vid.so
[mga] probe
[mga] found 22 pci devices
[mga] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/sis_vid.so
[SiS] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/radeon_vid.so
[radeon] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/nvidia_vid.so
[nvidia_vid] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/mach64_vid.so
[mach64] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/mga_vid.so
[mga] probe
[mga] found 22 pci devices
[mga] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/cyberblade_vid.so
[cyberblade] Can't find chip
vosub_vidix: Couldn't find working VIDIX driver
[x11] NET style stay on top (layer 0). Using state
_NET_WM_STATE_STAYS_ON_TOP.
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

But /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/radeon_vid.so does exist (actually, all
these 9 *_vid.so files exist in that directory)!

So, I tried the x11 driver, which works great (with -vo x11 -fs -zoom),
I can see the image as well on the monitor as on the tv. Problem is, my
monitor has a resolution of 1280x1024 and my tv can only display
1024x768, so, the tv uses a "virtual" resolution. Thus, in fullscreen, I
see the whole movie on my monitor, but only a 1024x768 part of it on the
tv screen (I can scroll it in all directions with the mouse).

Thus, I have to change my X11 resolution to 1024x768 every time I want
to watch a movie, which is a bit unnerving.

Does anyone has a clue how I could workaround this problem? Or maybe
someone can tell me what's wrong with my xvidix drivers (maybe they work
better)?

Thanks in advance,

Malte Skoruppa