[MPlayer-users] vobsub -> microdvd

Sun Jan 18 17:48:17 CET 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Ivan Imperl wrote:

II>| It is impossible to just convert them

Ouch, what a strange type of quoting...

II>And what than this part of MPlayer's manual means:
II>
II>    -dumpmicrodvdsub (MPLAYER only)
II>        Convert the given subtitle (specified with the -sub  option)  to
II>        the MicroDVD subtitle format.  Creates a dumpsub.sub file in the
II>        current directory.

It's a mistake. Well, not really mistake - mplayer can only convert
different type of subs. It can convert any supported text subtitle
format to microdvd subs with that option, but vobsubs are bitmaps, and
it cannot perform OCR for you. But once you create text .srt from them,
you can use that option to make dumpsub.sub with microdvd subs.

I guess it is noted somewhere in TFM.

II>| Or, even
II>| better solution (quality of conversion will be better and the result
II>| will require less corrections) - download subrip
II>| (http://www.subrip.fr.st/), it installs and runs perfectly under wine.
II>
II>I'll try it (and hope that I can do what I need without DVD).

It needs only .sub file, you don't even need  idx (although it will be a
little easier with it in complex cases).

--

Vladimir