[MPlayer-users] Walmart music download service & MPlayer

Anders Rune Jensen anders at gnulinux.dk
Wed Jan 7 14:17:01 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 03:43, R G Cottrell wrote:
> BTW, does anybody care to wax lyrical on the merits of the ogg format?
> Like, why should I use ogg rather than mp3?
> Apologies if this is too far offtopic.

Ogg Vorbis is:

- (REAL) Variable bitrate, what this basicly means is that you will get
much better quality with the same size because ogg is able to "adapt" to
the track and use bitrate where it's really needed.
- not patented

And support for it in hardware players is growing. I myself just bought
a Neuros some months ago and the ability to play ogg was the main
selling points for me.

Hope this helps.

--
Anders Rune Jensen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~arj/

PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/62C2D7F0 @ pgp.mit.edu
Fingerprint: 6A03 907E 92E1 47EB 4EAB  76B6 068A ACD1 62C2 D7F0