[MPlayer-users] Walmart music download service & MPlayer

R G Cottrell rossco at froggy.com.au
Wed Jan 7 03:39:00 CET 2004

Joonas Koivunen wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>On Tuesday 06 January 2004 23:57, R G Cottrell wrote:
>

>>>download plain unencrypted mp3 files from the place of your choice. :)
>>>

>>This sounds better, I think there's a Kazaa client for Linux, so I could
>>pay for
>>them at Walmart and download them off Kazaa.  :-)
>>

>idea sounds nice but there are better systems than kazaa :D (which sucks btw)
>

>>:-) Yeah, that would be nice.  The DMCA doesn't scare me, I live in
>>
>>Australia.
>>

>could you post some of these drm'ed files and we could have some very
>intelligent person to crack 'em. (note if you already did this, don't :D i
>can't actually remember what went on previously in the thread)

I'd be willing to finance someone to download a couple of tracks on my
behalf,
but I don't think I'd be willing to just send them out onto the net.
OTOH, the EULA
does allow me to 'back up' the files to 2 other computers, so I might be
prepared to
'back up' a file or 2 to someone's computer, just for safekeeping, of
course. ;-)

>though, isnt' there already a win32 program for this?

I have no idea, but unless it will run under wine or something, it's not
much help.

 > i guess groups have
 > battled against harder copy protections in games than some wma files..

I expect so.  Maybe the cracker groups, like lockless or someone, could
help.

>>MPlayer - more than a program, it's an adventure.
>>

>ha, rtfm first, at least before thinking something like that aloud :D

Huh? I thought it was a fair comment, and I'm only trying to play some
lousy wma
files, not doing something difficult, like getting a DVD to play on my
233MHz box.
(Definitely time for an upgrade.)

Regards, Ross.