[MPlayer-users] Walmart music download service & MPlayer

R G Cottrell rossco at froggy.com.au
Tue Jan 6 22:57:32 CET 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:12:03AM +1000, R G Cottrell wrote:
>

>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>D Richard Felker III wrote:
>>
>>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]

>>>Yes, that would be my guess too. Next time don't buy DRM'd files.
>>>

>>Okay, tell me how I can buy non-DRM'd files (and run them) from my Linux
>>box.
>>

>Buy a CD,

Tried that.  I've had these 2 CDs on order for about 3 months.  It was
supposed
to only take 6-8 weeks.

> use iTunes and decrypt the files once you get them, or

iTunes only works for Mac and Window$ users.

>download plain unencrypted mp3 files from the place of your choice. :)

This sounds better, I think there's a Kazaa client for Linux, so I could
pay for
them at Walmart and download them off Kazaa.  :-)

>As for "I guess I'm running foul of the DRM in the paid-for files",
>that's the whole point of DRM, and why you should do everything you
>can to _oppose_ DRM rather than buying it.

Well, I'd prefer not to deal with people who peddle DRM'd goods, but I can
see their point of view.  It would be nice if the 'ripped-off' DLLs
handled the
DRM in a transparent way, but apparently that's not the case.

>>Well, that's one attitude you can take.  Another is that a legal means
>>of downloading
>>music files is of value to Linux users, and MPlayer _claims_ to be able
>>to play files
>>intended for Windows Media Player 9, which Walmart supports.
>>

>Legal and good are not the same. Quite often they're the opposites.
>
>Perhaps you'd like us to make MPlayer crack your WMA files for you, so
>it's illegal to use too?

:-) Yeah, that would be nice.  The DMCA doesn't scare me, I live in
Australia.

>MPlayer does not advertise being able to play
>any DRM'd files, and there's not much interest in adding support,
>since (a) DRM files are not found in the wild, so support for them
>isn't needed, and (b) the developers don't feel like putting
>themselves in legal risk by cracking DRM when the only benefit is to
>people who ignorantly use DRM music-download services rather than the
>many free alternatives.

I see.  And ripping off MicroStuffed's DLLs is okay, is it?
Maybe we need someone like DVD-Jon to supply a plug-in.

>... Read
>the README before compiling.

I did the first time, but I was trying to use the 1.0pre3 and the
section on
ffmpeg didn't apply.  I ran into problems compiling it and switched over
to the cvs repository.  I had problems with gcc 2.95 and had to switch
to 3.0.
in the confusion I didn't get around to rereading the README.

MPlayer - more than a program, it's an adventure.

Regards, Ross.