[MPlayer-users] mencoder cropping does not work?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 6 20:42:32 CET 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 05:53:40PM +0100, horst.schlonz at gmx.de wrote:
> hi,
> i ripped an mpeg-file off an svcd with vcdxrip and it has very big black bars.
> i want to reencode this file with the black bars cut off.
>
> here is what i did:

 [...]

> ok, now for the part where i believe my failure lies:
> $ mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -vf crop=480:262:0:108 -o out.mpg avseq01.mpg
                       ^^^^^^^^^

You cannot change anything with -ovc copy.

> so, i thought my mencoder-command should reencode the file with the black bars
> cut off.

Wait. You tell it to framecopy (don't reencode) and then you expect it
to reencode? Make up your mind. If you do reencode, you'll reduce
quality or increase filesize. I don't see why you want to do this at
all. It's the same as people who reencode their 64kbps mp3s to 320kbit
to "get back the quality"...

> but they are still there when i play the file with mplayer. also
> mencoder seems to change the container-format from mpeg to avi. where am i
> wrong?

Use -of mpeg to make an mpeg file, but it's experimental and probably
won't work. MEncoder is for making avi files.

> i have debian sid with marillat-packages here.

These are not supported for various reasons, but oh well.

Rich