[MPlayer-users] 3:2 pulldown

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 6 10:40:56 CET 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:56:52AM +0100, Martin Emrich wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Di, den 06.01.2004 schrieb D Richard Felker III um 06:14:
>
> > What you want to do is use the
> > field-repeat flags (like most commercial movie dvds do) to "soft"
> > telecine the movie, so that only 24 pictures per second are stored,
> > and the player shows each for the correct duration to give 30 "frames"
> > per second.
> >
> > Unfortunately, as far as I know mencoder can't do soft telecine. If
> > you wait for mencoder-g2 it will work, but it won't exist for at least
> > a month and might take much longer to become really usable. I would
> > recommend just using a different program for this purpose, for the
> > time being. :(
>
> I currently have the same problem, an AVI at 23.976 fps which I want to
> encode to PAL or NTSC framerate. Is there the possibility to use
> mencoder to encode the video, and use some other tool to add these
> "field-repeat flags" to the MPEG2 stream afterwards ? (just using -ofps
> 25 or -ofps 29.97 gives me audio desync).

You don't want to use field repeats to convert 24 fps to 25 fps. It
will look choppy. Instead just speed it up to 25 fps, and speed up the
audio by the same factor. MPlayer has a -speed option to do this (use
-speed 25025/24000), but unfortunately no one has written the
corresponding code for MEncoder. :(

So you could either try to add that to mencoder (or find someone to do
it for you), or you could hack the headers in your source avi file to
change the framerate and audio samplerate to make it play faster...

Rich