[MPlayer-users] LMLM4

Marko Faas argus at dds.nl
Fri Feb 20 16:25:24 CET 2004

Hello,

I am working for the Dutch national broadcaster NOS and we have just
switched from the Real format to Windows Media format, version 7.1 for
video and 9 for audio (yeah, thats strange I know. We're working on that
but it is due to our hosting/grabbing partner.)

Due to financial reasons and workload, we are not able to offer more
than one format. We would like to switch to mp4 or Theora (when/if it's
finished), but we have to go with the flow and offer the format that
most of the internetusers can play. (yeah, Flash was considered too)

I am trying to find a way to play our streams in Linux too and of course
Mplayer is the first thing I tried. I installed the latest version of
Mplayer and Mplayerplug-in (Suse 9, Packman) for Firebird and went to
our site www.nosnieuws.nl.

I hit the link NOS Journaal and our Mediascreen pops up, right after I
allowed it to do so in Firebird. In the videoscreen I've got the nice
blue words 'Mplayerplug-in' but no downloading or buffering. Well, at
least not more then 2030 bytes or so :-(

I tried to play the url directly with Mplayer, but then i've got the
error message:
"LMLM4 Stream Format not found"

I haven't found a solution using Google, so I am hoping you will be able
to help me (and all our linux-users) out.

Am I missing a codec on my machine (yes, I have installed the win32
linux-only codecs) or is playing such a stream just impossible on Linux?

Thanks for your help.

--
Kind Regards,
Marko Faas