[MPlayer-users] Audio/Subtitle Stream Selection

John Philip phip at spymac.com
Thu Feb 19 12:14:48 CET 2004

I think the argument for the -sid and -aid stream selection options
should be in the context of only similar streams, rather than all
streams in the file. Currently, the user has to know the order of all
the streams to make use of these options. This is awkward and
inconvenient. It would be far simpler to use if the user only had to
specify which audio stream, the first or the second, or in the case of
a single subtitle stream, turn it on without having to know the obscure
position of which overall number (-sid 4, for example, to turn on the
only subtitle stream in the file, how is that intuitive?)

I realize that using -slang and -alang would seem to make more sense
for a user looking for ease of use. However, users need something to
fall back to when they encounter a file that doesn't specify language
codes for its streams, or worse mislabels them (I often encounter files
where all streams are labeled english). Because you can't select
non-audio streams with -aid and you can't select non-subtitle streams
with -sid, what sense does it make that they be included?

What would you think of this change? Has anyone else wrestled with
having to find the full stream order to use -sid/-aid?
Thanks for your thoughts,
John