[MPlayer-users] Ripping DVD audio and using menu info

Chris Phillips chris at thirtythreeandathird.net
Sat Feb 14 23:02:55 CET 2004

> I'm able to use mplayer to rip the audio from a DVD.  But the result is
> not that convenient because I end up with single large files for each
> title (yes, I know I can use -chapter to limit to a given chapter).  The
> plan is to burn the audio to CDR for listening to just the audio.
>
> I'm new to this process so I'm wondering if there's easier/better way to
> rip audio.  Specifically, is there a way to (automatically) rip the
> chapters into individual .wav files?  That way cdrecord could at least
> have some track info.

You'd do better not to rip it, instead dump it using a wav writer output

mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 2 -ao pcm -aofile chapter_2.wav

and if you want to automatie this, you could use something like my program
http://acidrip.thirtythreeandathird.net/lsdvd.html to find how many
chapters a given track has, and use that to loop a shell script o your own
choosing.

> I don't know the DVD format, but I'm also wondering if there's a way to
> rip the audio in the sequence that the DVD would play in a DVD player.
> Or if there's a way to create a table of contents from the dvd menu.
> Yes, I need to learn more about DVDs, but just looking for suggestions
> or tools that might be available.

Chris