[MPlayer-users] MPlayer-1.0pre3 crashes when trying .wmv files

Anders Misfeldt anders at misfeldt.dk
Thu Feb 12 17:55:46 CET 2004

Hey

I just installed MPlayer-1.0pre3 on my Fedora Core 1 box. I've been using MPlayer for a long time now on older Red Hat versions without having this problem.

When ever I try playing a .wmv movie MPlayer crashes with the message:

$ mplayer test.wmv
MPlayer 1.0pre3-3.3.2 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon 4 /Athlon MP/XP Palomino 1527 MHz (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

Reading config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directory
Reading config file /home/misfeldt/.mplayer/config
Reading /home/misfeldt/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/home/misfeldt/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Using built-in default codecs.conf.
Font /home/misfeldt/.mplayer/font/font.desc loaded successfully! (206 chars)
Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.
Using usleep() timing
Can't open input config file /home/misfeldt/.mplayer/input.conf: No such file or directory
Can't open input config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf: No such file or directory
Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config

Playing test.wmv.
ASF file format detected.
============ ASF Stream group == START ===
 object size = 38
 stream count=[0x2][2]
   stream id=[0x1][1]
   max bitrate=[0x5466][21606]
   stream id=[0x2][2]
   max bitrate=[0x1f24f][127567]
============ ASF Stream group == END ===
VIDEO:  [WMV3]  320x240  24bpp
Clip info:
 name:
 author:
 copyright:
 comments:
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 16000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 2500->64000 (20.0 kbit)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm:ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (ffmpeg))
vo: X11 running at 1280x1024 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local display)
Opening video decoder: [dmo] DMO video codecs

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: init_video_codec
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
Segmentation fault
$

I've tried enabling the debug and doing a backtrace. That only printet out the same as above!

I've compiled MPlayer with gcc-3.3.2-1. My machine is a Athlon XP 1800+ with a NVidia G-Force 2MX videocard (which never gave me any problems before). I've installed the newest NVidia drivers prior to installing MPlayer (I also tried before with same result).

MPlayer works fine with .mpg, .avi, .mov and .fli (the ones I've tested). I compiled MPlayer the following way:

./configure --enable-gui --with-xanimlibdir=/usr/local/lib/codecs --with-reallibdir=/usr/local/lib/codecs --disable-runtime-cpudetection
make
make install

I've also tried using the --enable-debug and --enable-runtime-cpudetection. Nothing helped.

Anyone with a solution?

With kind regards

Anders M