[MPlayer-users] snow/vorbis/nut?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Dec 31 23:56:48 CET 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 12:35:57PM -0500, marco wrote:
> > > - Vorbis in NUT fixed
> > > - NUT updated to latest specification
> >
> > imo this is bad. yes it's to latest spec, but the spec is just a
> > draft, so files created with it may not (and most likely WILL NOT)
> > work in the future. be patient...we're trying to finish it. :)
>
> But can one play with this? :)
>
> There was also mention of adding Dirac encoding/playback capabilities
> to mencoder/mplayer:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dirac
>
> I've also been fooling around with Dirac encoding, but they
> don't seem to have a working container yet (they plan to use
> MXF [others too], but I don't know if MPlayer can handle that
> one, I can't find it mentioned in the man page).

from what we've seen, dirac is something of a joke... althought it's
hard to tell because the code is so hellishly slow and difficult to
actually use in a real player.. as for the container, we've looked up
mxf and it's the most horribly misdesigned container we've ever seen,
which doesn't lend any credibility to the dirac people..

rich