[MPlayer-users] fullscreen scaling problems with high-res videos - bug?

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Sat Dec 11 05:17:16 CET 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Jack wrote:

> Has anyone else encountered this trouble, or do I just have dumb video cards?
>
> I'm having some trouble watching videos in Mplayer with a resolution higher
> than my screen resolution.  When I fullscreen such a video, instead of
> scaling it down to fit the screen, it crops it to fit the screen.  ...I don't
> want it cropped, I want it scaled (I imagine that's what most people would
> want).  I've tried on two different machines with -vo xv (s3 Savage-IX) and
> xvidix (Nvidia Riva of some sort).  I'm running the latest mplayer CVS.
>
> It works fine with -vo x11 and -zoom, but then it's too slow.
>
> I'm running into this problem because to make TV-out work properly on my
> Savage, I have to run at 640x480

I'm pretty sure that's a bug in your graphics card/driver.
I get even stranger results on my Matrox G450: the video wraps around and
overlays on itself.

If software scaling is too slow, you could try "-ladvopts lowres=1"
(Downscales by a factor of 2 while decoding. This can cause artifacts, but
it's fast. Not all codecs support the option, but mpeg[124] do.)

--Loren Merritt