[MPlayer-users] FLAC problems

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Dec 7 17:01:02 CET 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 02:36:11PM +0100, Jorik Jonker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using flac for a while now, and happily discovered that mplayer
> supports it. But, there is a little problem: mplayer doesn't seem to
> cope with metadata stored in flac-files (such as a CUE-sheet); it evens
> crashes (sig 11) on flac files containing a CUE-sheet (which is
> perfectly legal).

perfectly legal, but knowing flac, probably also perfectly
brain-damaged. this format is designed VERY poorly, making it
difficult to demux/decode in a sane multiformat player. of course this
is a bug in mplayer, and should be fixed..

> I assume this is a bug in libavcodec, since this is the part where the
> flac-file is decoded. Then I ask myself why isn't mplayer using libFLAC?

because libflac sucks. i forget the reason, but there was a good one..

rich