[MPlayer-users] subtitles in the avi

antoine melser.anton at neuf.fr
Wed Aug 25 18:07:18 CEST 2004

Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:

>when I rip using e.g. -sid 1 I get an avi where the subtitles are imbedded in
>the video. That is nice for some purposes. I can of course also rip the
>subtitles separately. If I have ripped the subtitles separately, is there
>then a way to produce an avi of the first kind? I have tried various things
>using -copy and -dumpstream, but none of it worked. It would be quite
>convenient since I then only need to store the subtitles separately, but
>could produce something that fits on a cd with subtitles later

Either I completely missed what you are trying to do, or you missed
somethin' huge. You create the avi, you rip the subtitles, then you play
the avi with subtitles with
$ mplayer -vobsub nameofsubfile.sub -vobsubid ? -slang ? nameofavi.avi
If you don't bother to convert the dvd sub format (you will need to run
special tools to extract the text, ie, ocr, and then something to create
a text sub format) to a text format (usually 3-5 meg vs 30-60K). I don't
usually rip subtitles with mplayer and get dvd::rip to automatically
make an rar archive of the necessary files. You use the same syntax anyway.
If you have it already in text format then
$ mplayer -sub nameofsub.txt nameofavi.avi
and it is as easy as that. No disgusting burning of subtitles to the movie!
Cheers
Antoine

--
G System, the evolving universe - http://www.g-system.at