[MPlayer-users] the need for speed mplayer not so fast...

antoine melser.anton at neuf.fr
Tue Aug 17 12:24:47 CEST 2004

>Well there are tons of things that could be the problem.  Could be the
>options set in /etc/make.conf.

antt at rux antt $ cat /etc/make.conf
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that
automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.fr.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
PORTAGE_NICENESS=15
LINGUAS="fr en"
USE="scanner dvd apache2 innodb doc 3dnow mmx sse dvdread network xvid"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp:///ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/gentoo/
ftp://mirrors.sec.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/gentoo/
http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/
http://gentoo.mirror.sdv.fr"

>Could be different filesystems.

see below.

>Could be that one distro enables DMA or PIO,

both enabled

> while the other doesn't.
>Could be different kernels.

mdk (=fast)=2.6.3, gentoo (=slow)=2.6.7r11 (gentoo-dev-sources).

> It could be that one doesn't have drivers
>for some piece of hardware (eg. IDE controller).

maybe

> It could be different
>versions of the compilier, or bintools.  Could be that one has
>the development versions of a library (like libmpeg),

maybe, but gentoo has everything new and shiny and not mdk... so maybe
there are bugs?

> while the other
>has to use the built-in, but slower version.  It could even be that you
>are using a different video for both encodes...

exact the same .vobs on the same drive, using exactly the same script
(containing mencoder CLs)

>  One with a larger res
>or bitrate, or just more complex than the other.
>
>So there are a LOT of things it could be.

Which was why I thought it might be a little ridiculous... The big
question is - could it have anything to do with opengl? I have been
having some problems with that and am unsure whether it is related. The
thing is that I didn't have this problem, under gentoo it was faster if
anything. Then I had a period of non-encoding but high system change. By
the time I realised (sometimes encode at night when I go to bed etc) it
was too late. Going though the changes would have been nigh impossible.
Now I am looking for a needle in a haystack!
Thanks anyway,
Cheers
Antoine