[MPlayer-users] the need for speed mplayer not so fast...

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Aug 17 08:53:49 CEST 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:07:12 +0200
antoine <melser.anton at neuf.fr> wrote:

> Hi again,
> This is probably a ridiculous question but I'll ask it anyway. Could
> someone give me some hints on what is relevant to the speed of an
> encode (in fps) that is not related to either:
> codec
> mplayer version
> mencoder options
> hardware

Well there are tons of things that could be the problem.  Could be the
options set in /etc/make.conf.  Could be different filesystems.
Could be that one distro enables DMA or PIO, while the other doesn't.
Could be different kernels.  It could be that one doesn't have drivers
for some piece of hardware (eg. IDE controller).  It could be different
versions of the compilier, or bintools.  Could be that one has
the development versions of a library (like libmpeg), while the other
has to use the built-in, but slower version.  It could even be that you
are using a different video for both encodes...  One with a larger res
or bitrate, or just more complex than the other.

So there are a LOT of things it could be.