[MPlayer-users] [BUGREPORT] VFWEX (VP3/5/6) Crash

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Aug 2 01:41:08 CEST 2004

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:47:30 +0200
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> 1) Why aren't you using the ffp3 codec?

Because the quality is bad.  It seems to leave out a macroblock here and
there, which results in "worms" across the picture, until the next
keyframe.

> 2) Why aren't you using the vp4vfw.dll codec?

1) I didn't realize it was backwards compatible.
2) I haven't updated my codecs lately.

Just updated my DLLs to include VP4...

3) MPlayer does not select the VP4 dll over VP3 by default
4) If I force it to use vp4vfw.dll, it crashes in the same way that
vp3 did.  Almost the same memory address as well.  If you'd like yet
another bug report using vp4vfw.dll instead of vp31vfw.dll, just ask and
I'll be happy to provide one.

> 3) From codecs.conf entry of vp32vfw.dll: For SSE-systems use fixed
> dll from ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/samples/drivers32/. Did you do
> that?

Not previously, no.  However, I just did, and it still crashes.  Would
you like me to file another bugreport, using that (slightly different)
dll?

> Why is this the very same location as in the memory loader code?
> First, there is no patching for vp32vfw.dll, and second the addresses
> are different as far as I can see.

My mistake.  With _VP6_ I verified that it was crashing with the address
of the memory fixup in loader.c, I didn't verify it for vp3...  I assume
too much.  Very sorry to have misled you.

In any case, it IS still a problem that goes away if I compile MPlayer
with debugging enabled.  If you'd like the verbose log of mplayer with
begugging enabled playing the file, I would be happy to provide that as
well.