[MPlayer-users] 3 pass encoding: scaling and bitrate

Marcos Dione mdione at grulic.org.ar
Fri Apr 30 21:10:42 CEST 2004

  I'm experimenting w/ encoding dvd to divx. I use 3 pass encoding. the first
one grabs the audio and gives me the suggested bitrate for the different cd
sizes. then the 2nd and 3rd ones use this bitrate to really encode. but in this
encoding I also scale the movie down, keeping aspect. my question is if the
suggested bitrate is still valid, even if I scale down the movie. the lines I
use are (lines split intentionally):

1st pass:
  mencoder
    dvd://1
    -ovc frameno
    -oac mp3lame
    -o frameno.avi
    -dvd-device /path/to/vobs

2nd and 3rd pass:
  mencoder
    dvd://1
    -ovc lavc
    -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:
      vlelim=-4:
      vcelim=9:
      lumi_mask=0.05:
      dark_mask=0.01:
      v4mv:
      mbd=2:
      vbitrate=<bitrate suggested>:
      vpass=<1 or 2>
    -vf pp=lb,
      scale=640:<scaled value according to aspect ratio>
    -oac copy
    -o "movie.avi"
    -dvd-device /path/to/vobs

  or should I also specify scaling in the 1st pass? I know calcbpp.pl exists,
but I plan to introduce it gradually as I refine the script.

--
(Not so) Random fortune:
Sheeps go to Heaven, goats go to Hell