[MPlayer-users] mencoder+codecs??

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Sep 26 21:45:44 CEST 2003

JJ2Dogs wrote:
> Hi there..
> I am havin some problems with codecs while encoding movies.
> It doesn`t metter if I use bitrate 2000 or 3200, the file is allways the same and the qualitz=y isn`t what it should be. I prefer to use divx4 because it is fastest. But even if I use Xvid or lavc I am having the same problem...
> Please can you hel me??
> THX..

Maybe the optimizations for our respective CPUs are different, but for
me, encoding with divx4 and default options is only about 70% as fast as
with lavc at the same bitrate and default options. And the lavc file
looks much better.

I would highly recommend using lavc instead of divx4 because:
1. It's free.
2. Bugs get fixed more readily.
3. It's faster(?).
4. Quality is better.
5. There are more options to tweak to get even higher quality if you
don't care about speed.

If you want to learn how to get very high quality encodes, then reading
DOCS/tech/encoding-tips.txt is a good place to start.

If all you want is perfect quality, though, vqscale=2 is what you want.

-Corey