[MPlayer-users] what tv to buy

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Fri Sep 26 15:34:14 CEST 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 02:14:05PM +0200, gabor wrote:
> -100hz... it seems to me that the picture quality is better on those tvs.
> are there any problems with computer-tv-out with a 100hz tv? (and btw. could
> anyone explain to me what they do differently? i know that 100hz means that
> they show a new picture 100times in a second, but you only get 25/24
> full-frames (or 50 interlaced), so how do they create the remaining 50?
> interpolate?)

With digital sampling. I mean, that kind of TV shows the picture with one
frame LATER than the signal arrives (I dunno that it also delays the sound
or not to keep sync, but imho one frame cannot be noticed easily). Why? It
samples the video signal into digital form and the store it, and shows that
frame on the screen (twice), while processing the next frame from signal to
another buffer. It SHOULD be digital, since in case of my TV it has a button
on remote controller to freeze the video: it cannot be possible without
digital storing ...

My Thompson 16:9 (I dunno the correct type though) costed about 180000 HUF,
but it was the cheapest 100Hz 16:9 TV I could find ...

- Gábor (larta'H)