[MPlayer-users] strange artifacts

HR haavroed at online.no
Wed Sep 24 13:12:45 CEST 2003

I've uploaded a small sample w/o sound that shows the artifacts to

ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/HR/movie.clip.artifacts.avi
ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/HR/movie.clip.artifacts.txt

I intended to upload the relevant piece from the original DVD vob source
as well, but all of a sudden I'm getting I/O errors on the DVD media. So
I guess that DVD is broken now :( Good thing I managed to make a backup
of it before that happened. I suspected this artifact to be a "dent" in
the DVD, so with recent events, this seems even more plausible...  They
show up exactly the same on two lavc mpeg4 encodings I made using
different bitrates, making this even more likely. They certainly don't
look like encoder artifacts to me.

Any of you ever seen such artifacts before? Don't blink, or you might
miss them ;)

HR