[MPlayer-users] Re: record tv and drop advertising in one pass?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed Sep 24 01:38:08 CEST 2003

Frank Blatzheim wrote:
> Maybe i get some flames but a linux-program like WinDVR would be fine.
> Looking Tv, press 2 Buttons (REC/PAUSE), finish. Ok, xawtv does it (a
> little bit), but it kills the Record-File if it grows over 2GB on
> FAT32 (not enough free space here on ext3-fs) and it create really
> big Record-Files (no encoding on the fly). Mplayer with GUI works very
> good as Video/TV/player and has "eye candy". But the Man-Pages drives
> me crazy. Tons of switches and options, some for mplayer, other for mencoder
> and the manpage for mencoder and mplayer are always the same.

You could just use avidemux, as has been suggested repeatedly on this
list. Mplayer does have a poor GUI, which is why I never use it. If you
don't like how many options MPlayer has, you might be better off with an
Xine based player like Xine-UI or Totem. There's also Kplayer, but I've
never tried it.

<URL:http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/>
<URL:http://xinehq.de/index.php/home>
<URL:http://www.hadess.net/totem.php3>