[MPlayer-users] ffmpeg mpeg1 encoding test

Fabio Papa f.papa at mcmspa.it
Fri Sep 19 11:50:57 CEST 2003

Hi all,
could someone with encoding experience try a little experiment, just to make
sure I'm not the only one with this problem?
Try compressing any video you wish to mpeg1video using lavc, whatever
parameters you think is necessary, to an avi file using mencoder.
It should play correctly and should output something like:

VIDEO:  [mpg1]  480x576  24bpp  25.000 fps  779.5 kbps (95.2 kbyte/s)
VIDEO:  MPEG1  480x576  (aspect 1)  25.000 fps  779.5 kbps (97.4 kbyte/s)

Then try to extract the video stream using ffmpeg, since it's the only way (at
least that I know of):

ffmpeg -i avifile -vcodec copy -f rawvideo mpgfile

then play that file. What I see is this:

MPEG-ES file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG1  480x576  (aspect 1)  25.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)

Obviously something is very wrong here. This behaviour has started since after
0.4.7 ffmpeg got out. Needless to say I cannot use those videos in any DVD
author app. It seems to me like mpeg1video is relying on the avi container
for the kbps/sec value, and doesn't have one of its own.
Can somebody throw some light in this?
Thanks!

--
Fabio Papa