[MPlayer-users] Green Screen: tv and bt848

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 17 05:15:16 CEST 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 03:26:24PM -0600, Ben Luey wrote:
> I have mandrake 9.1 and a Hauppauge WinTV bt848 chipset tv card. The card works
> fine in zapping and xawtv. But when I try mplayer -tv on all I get is a green
> screen. I've tried using the driver=dummy and I get the same green screen. When
> I try driver=v41 or driver=bsdbt848 mplayer says the driver isn't installed
> (how do I install it?). I've tried different channels, entering the freq of the
> channels, and different fps and resolutions, but I always get this static green
> screen. mplayer works fine with my dvd player, so the problem isn't the screen
> output. Any ideas of what could be the problem?

Make sure you've set all the options correctly for tv norm and stuff.
Here's what's in my .mplayer/config for TV (USA/NTSC):

tv=chanlist=us-bcast:norm=ntsc:driver=v4l:input=0:outfmt=yuy2

Input may vary with your particular card; for me, 0 is the tuner. The
outfmt isn't absolutely required, but because of bugs/design flaws in
bttv, it butchers the interlacing in yv12 (default) mode.

Rich